Whitworth Park, Manchester
Type of open space: Park
Ward: Moss Side
Metropolitan District: Manchester City Council
Metropolitan County: Greater Manchester
Local area map
Whitworth Park was laid out by the Whitworth Institute and opened with the Art Gallery in 1890. The Institute was funded from the bequest of Sir Joseph Whitworth, a local precision engineer, inventor and industrialist.
The Institute secured the land for Whitworth Park in 1889, which was then known as Potters Field and the Park was opened in 1890. The park was formally handed over in October 1904 on a 1000-year lease. The Whitworth Institute was taken over by the University of Manchester in 1958 when it became the Whitworth Art Gallery. The University of Manchester remains the owner of the park and Manchester City Council is the lessee.
The original boating lake, pavilion and shelters, a bandstand and a weather station were removed in the 1950's and the lake filled in. The park became run down towards the end of the twentieth century but is now restored thanks to the efforts of the Friend of Whitworth Park whose work continues with the addition of wildflower areas to encourage wildlife. The Art Gallery extension into the park added sculptures, an art garden and Café overlooking the park.
The bronze statue of King Edward VII by John Cassidy a Manchester sculptor was unveiled in 1913 three years after the kings death. There is also a First World War Memorial to the 7th Manchester's.
The park was given the Green Flag award in 2014.
To be eligible for a Green Flag award a park or green space must be welcoming, safe and well maintained with a strong involvement from the local community.
Update this description.