Stowmarket Recreation Ground, Stowmarket
Type of open space: Recreation ground
Ward: Stowmarket North
District Council: Mid Suffolk District Council
County Council: Suffolk County Council
Local area map
Originally known as "King's Meadows" this area was, before the end of the 1914-18 war, open meadow land. At that time there were few houses on Finborough Road; Chilton Hall and Stow Union Workhouse were just visible.
At the end of the first world war, "King's Meadows" was purchased by raising £1,800 by public subscription, additionally £800 was raised to erect the Memorial Gates that were officially opened on Sunday 13th February 1921.
In 1919 there was a peace celebration with a finale bonfire lit on King's Meadows
Originally enclosed by heavy iron railings the recreation ground was locked every night before dusk. The grass was only cut once a year at hay time and an official caretaker was appointed.
A much later addition was a line of trees running parallel to Recreation Road.
Queen Elizabeth II visited a crafts and industries exhibition on the Recreation ground in 1961 and accepted a willow cricket bat for her son Prince Charles. A week long carnival event was arranged to celebrate the event.
- 1. Memorial Gates, opened in 1921 with plaques dedicated to those lost in the two world wars.
- 2. Cast drinking fountain made by Walter MacFarlane & Co of Glasgow and presented by the children of the adjacent Council School in memory of those lost in the 1914-18 war (recently renovated and placed inside the memorial gates).
- 3. Skate park.
- 4. Children's play area.
- 5. A line of trees separating the area from Recreation Road.
- 6. Adjacent middle school.
- 7. Paths around the borders and crossing the area diagonally.
- 8. Circus and travelling fair visits.
Update this description.